An eviction is when a tenant is involuntarily forced to leave the house or apartment being rented. This can only happen after a court hearing and can only be done by landlord tenant officers who work for the court.

The first step of the process is for the landlord to send a Notice to Vacate asking the tenant to leave voluntarily. If that is not successful, the landlord must go to court to get a judgment against the tenant.

Once a judgment for possession is obtained, if no appeal is filed, a landlord can file for the necessary papers to be served (Writ of Possession and Writ Alias) in order for the landlord tenant officer to evict the tenant.

A tenant has at least 21 days after the court hearing before being forced to leave the house or apartment.

It is illegal for a landlord to lock out a tenant without a sheriff or landlord-tenant officer or before the landlord followed the legal process and obtained an Alias Writ of Possession. It is also illegal to try to evict tenants by force, or by turning off their utilities or removing their possessions or boarding up their doors, or by ANY other means except with a sheriff or a landlord-tenant officer.