The Fair Housing Commissionexternal-icon may stop your eviction if you have Housing Code violations in your home. You must have rent receipts or other proof that you are not behind in your rent.

If your have not paid your landlord because you have put your rent into a separate account or used some of your rent money to make repairs when your landlord has refused to do so – you can still file a complaint with the Fair Housing Commission. You will need receipts for any repairs you have made.

The Fair Housing Commission may also stop your eviction if your landlord is retaliating against you for exercising your legal rights, such as asking for an L&I inspection or joining a tenant organization.

You should file your complaint immediately. The Fair Housing Commission will not accept your complaint if your landlord has already filed a complaint against you in Municipal Court.

The Fair Housing Commission is a city agency located at 601 Walnut Street, Philadelphia. Call 215-686-3237 for more information.