Leases are agreements between landlords and tenants. Good landlords will keep up their end of the bargain so that you can keep up yours without interruption. It is important to do a bit of research on your landlord or the landlord’s management company before you move into a property. You do not want to be in a situation where you cannot get out of a bad leasing situation without harm to yourself. There are a few things are major red flags that one should be aware of before renting.
Consider the following factors:
– Is the person renting to you the owner of the property? If not, do they have permission to rent the property?
– Does the landlord have a license to rent the property? If not, is it because of lack of awareness, negligence or a deceptive practice as the property has open L&I violations.
– Are there liens against the property such that the landlord may lose their property while you are renting?
– Does the landlord or the management company have a tendency to neglect the property and refuse to do repairs?
– Does the lease have excessive late fees or ask for more security than is legally allowed?
– Does your landlord have usually high number of evictions for the same property over the few years?
If you do not know what to look for or how to find out pertinent information about your landlord before renting, please contact us. We have recently launching a landlord check so that you can beware of properties with questionable landlord’s or property managers. Check out the page: Landlord Background Research